The United States has indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro in connection with the 1996 shootdown of two aircraft operated by the Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue, marking a renewed escalation in long-running US–Cuba tensions.

US President Donald Trump said Washington would “help the Cuban people” and was “freeing up Cuba” following the announcement, while also describing the country in sharply critical terms during remarks to reporters.

He said: “We have big news on Cuba… with the indictment of Castro.” Asked what comes next, Trump added: “It’s a failing nation… they have no food… no electricity… no energy at all… but we’re there to help.”

The indictment relates to the 24 February 1996 incident in which four people were killed when Cuban fighter jets shot down civilian aircraft over the Florida Straits. US prosecutors allege Raúl Castro, the defence minister at the time, played a leading role in the decision, while Havana has previously denied direct responsibility.

Cuban officials have rejected the move, describing it as politically motivated, as diplomatic tensions between Washington and Havana continue to intensify.

ℹ️ The White House, Al Jazeera

Follow on social media TikTok@tut0ughInstagram@tut0ugh Threads@tut0ugh X@tut0ugh YouTube@tut0ugh

Click to subscribe to the Weekly Brief by tut0ugh
US President Donald Trump speaks to the press after returning and stepping off Air Force One, May 20, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. (AP/Jacquelyn Martin)
Ethiopia–Eritrea tensions: Getachew Reda rejects claims of imminent conflict
Trump says US is “freeing up Cuba” after Raúl Castro indictment over 1996 aircraft shootdown
Posted in