Iran has announced the creation of a new authority amid continuing tensions with the United States over maritime activity in the Gulf region.

The country’s Supreme National Security Council on Monday (18 May) said the new authority, called the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA), would provide “real-time updates” on operations and the latest developments in the strait, a critical chokepoint through which 20 percent of the world’s oil and gas pass in peacetime.

No additional details were released regarding the structure, powers, or responsibilities of the new body.

Key developments include:

  • Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of the Iranian parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, said Iran had developed a mechanism to regulate maritime traffic.
  • Iranian officials indicated fees could be charged for specialised maritime services.

Despite the 8 April ceasefire brokered through Pakistani mediation, negotiations between Washington and Tehran remain deadlocked over sanctions relief, maritime access, and Iran’s role in the Strait of Hormuz. 

The US naval blockade, introduced on 13 April, has expanded in scope in recent weeks, with American forces reportedly intercepting and seizing several Iran-linked vessels in the Gulf region. Iranian officials have condemned the measures as unlawful and continue to push for the lifting of maritime restrictions as part of any broader agreement. 

US President Donald Trump, in a recent Truth Social post, said he had been asked by regional leaders — including the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan — to pause a planned US military strike on Iran scheduled for Tuesday (19 May), citing ongoing negotiations.

Trump stated that the proposed deal would include “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” and said he had instructed senior US military leadership to stand down from the planned operation while remaining prepared for a “full, large scale assault” if talks fail to produce an agreement. He also referenced continued diplomatic engagement and emphasised the potential for a Middle East–wide settlement.

The remarks come as Trump has separately warned that “the clock is ticking” for Tehran to reach a deal, signalling mounting pressure on Iran amid fragile back-channel negotiations mediated through Pakistan and ongoing disputes over sanctions relief and nuclear verification.

ℹ️ FRANCE24, Anadolu Agency, New York Times

Follow on social media TikTok@tut0ughInstagram@tut0ugh Threads@tut0ugh X@tut0ugh YouTube@tut0ugh

Click to subscribe to the Weekly Brief by tut0ugh
A giant banner depicting the Strait of Hormuz is displayed at Fatemi Square, featuring Ali Reza Tangsiri, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy who was killed in a US-Israeli attack, and Iranian military leader Rais Ali Delvarion in Tehran, Iran April 15, 2026. (AA Photo)
Ethiopia–Eritrea tensions: Getachew Reda rejects claims of imminent conflict
Iran announces new ‘Persian Gulf Strait Authority’ amid Strait of Hormuz tensions
Posted in